Did you know...
For much of its history, St. George’s main building was the Chapel (pictured above) until our current building was completed in 2001. Today, the new building is the main worship and meeting space, and our chapel is used for special services. Here is a brief history of St. George’s.
St. George’s was founded in 1873 a lot in Glenville (as it was then known) was deeded to the Vestry of Holy Trinity Parish, Collington. Holy Trinity had wanted for some years to establish a chapel-of-ease in its northern area. A cemetery was also established on the grounds.
The building was erected partially with funds raised by a former Rector of Queen Anne Parish, Dr. Stephen Tyng. He had raised money from among his congregants at St. George’s Church, Stuyvesant Square, New York City, and the grateful members of the new Glenville Chapel chose St. George’s as their name to honor the connection.
In 1888, St. George’s was destroyed by a cyclone and was then rebuilt on the same foundation. In 1925, the congregation was able to build a small parish hall.
During the chapel-of ease days, the Rector of Holy Trinity served St. George’s once or twice a month. In 1958, St. George’s Chapel became a Mission congregation of the Diocese of Washington. The early 1970’s were dominated by the renovation of the Chapel, completed in 1974. During the 1980’s, the congregation turned its sights outward. A food pantry called Martha’s Closet was begun with other Glenn Dale congregations. Martha’s Closet served families with food and children’s clothing for over 20 years.